Associate Director of Content, B2B Marketing
May 5, 2022
What does an associate director of content do?
An associate director of content is responsible for supporting lead generation activities through the creation of relevant content. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creation of SEO-driven article content
- Creation of thought leadership content
- Building of webinar decks and management of webinar activities
- Driving social media strategies
- Building of email nurture programs
- Collaboration with PR, design, editorial, product marketing, and demand gen teams
About this associate director of content job description
This job description for an associate director of content can easily be used as a template that you can copy, paste, and edit to meet your exact needs. It’s recommended that prior to posting this job description or sending to a recruiter that you determine the overall requirements and responsibilities of your associate director of content.
Associate Director of Content Job Description Template
[Insert Short Paragraph on Company Mission]
About the Associate Director of Content Role
As the Associate Director of Content for B2B Marketing, your role is to support lead generation by devising a market-leading, best practice content creation strategy that results in high-quality content that delights our audience. Your strategy should deliver informative and engaging content that speaks to our buyer personas at each stage in the buyer journey. You’ll work cross functionally to support the greater marketing team and to deliver on all types of content for every stage of the funnel including ebooks, videos, white papers, web copy, webinar decks, interactive content, email and landing page copy, nurture path copy, and social media content. Content creation will range from thought leadership, to product-focused content, to marketing copy, and you should be highly experience in all of those areas. You will synthesize input from other cross-functional contributors such as PR, Design, Editorial, Product Marketing, and Email teams to ensure the message is on point and you’ll be the primary liaison to our legal team to ensure our copy and claims are legally compliant.
In order be an expert content creator in our space, you’ll stay informed about our buyer by listening on calls, meeting with sales, and meeting with customers and prospects, and attending events. You’ll also provide an ongoing competitive analysis and benchmarking of our content marketing efforts to ensure we are evolving at the forefront of the market and regularly testing new content types. Finally, you will thoroughly understand the digital and SEO strategies from the digital team and will provide SEO and conversion-friendly copy and content.
Our Ideal Associate Director of Content
The ideal candidate is an experienced hands-on operator who has proven experience building and scaling content creation engines in the B2B space (bonus points for knowledge of [Insert your target market]). You’ll be a key partner and advisor to the marketing and sales organizations, and you’ll work in an amazing culture on a high-functioning team.
Associate Director of Content Responsibilities
- Manage and mentor a small team to own the strategy and create all content needed to service our buyer, our sales team, and the larger B2B marketing team, following the highest standards for quality.
- Work closely with the following teams to execute on the content strategy:
- The product marketing team to ensure all copy is on message and clearly differentiated.
- The design team to bring copy and design together in perfect harmony
- The PR team to create companion programs to our PR surveys and awards
- The legal team to ensure all claims and copy are legally compliant
- The editorial team to provide complementary content to our editorial efforts
- The programs team to deliver content that supports all programs at every stage of the funnel and to provide specific content and copy in support of our Account-based marketing programs
- The sales/SDR teams to ensure all prospecting copy is on point and in line with what they are trying to accomplish at each stage of the funnel
- The digital team to ensure web copy follows best practices, is on message, and is optimized for SEO and to provide advertising copy
- The programs and email teams to deliver all email and landing page copy and nurture stream copy within best practice guidelines
- Build out content that services the entire customer lifecycle for every market segment and buyer persona.
- Build out content to round out our SEO strategy and take advantage of the biggest opportunities.
- Ensure we are a leading-edge content organization by continually benchmarking, conducting competitive analysis against the best content organizations in B2B, having conversations with customers and sales, and educating your team through events and other means.
- Stay abreast of trends in [insert industry you work in] and provide new creative ideas to capture the attention of this market and solve their biggest problems.
- Continually adjust plans based on in-depth analysis on topics, offer types, campaigns, channels, nurture flow, emails, and landing pages and educate your team on these insights.
- Drive a culture of rapid test and learn to discover new and innovative ways to scale revenue and improve ROI
- Work as a leader on the B2B marketing team to drive cross-functional projects that improve culture, processes, efficiency, and success.
Associate Director of Content Qualifications
- BA or BS degree, MBA preferred
- 5+ years of progressive B2B career experience and leadership in content creation and/or marketing programs
- Extensive experience managing fast-paced content teams and supporting and collaborating with a large number of stakeholders
- Strategic thinker, but hands-on and a strong mentor who can jump in to teach the team to solve problems
- Ability to work well under pressure and at a rapid pace in an ever-changing startup environment
- Proven success building comprehensive lifecycle content programs that scale with rapid growth
- Strong understanding of customer needs and solving customer problems and challenges through marketing
- Basic understanding of Marketo, SFDC, and SEO
- Deep knowledge of content types and the competitive landscape for content creation
- Team player with strong cross-functional skills who enjoys collaboration
- Experience marketing to the HR or Recruiting audience and experience in other areas of marketing a big plus
Where to post and hire your Associate Director of Content
When hiring an associate director of content, you’ll want to post this role on sources like LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and other specialty marketing networks. Make sure to also look towards referrals when hiring for senior roles.
Become a hypergrowth marketer for free. Get the hypergrowth newsletter right to your inbox.